10.31.2010

Pumpkin Soup

In honor of Halloween and the fall season I'm happy to share our traditional family dinner on Halloween evening~ Pumpkin Soup! Mom started making it when I was in my early teens and it just stuck! I even went home last year just so I could have it with my family. This evening however I couldn't make it home so I made it for the first time myself and it came out perfectly!

I'm NOT a pumpkin pie fan. I do however like pumpkin butter, pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks, pumpkin pie cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory (sensing a theme here?) aannnddd... Pumpkin Soup. So, if pumpkin's not really your thing know that it's not mine either and I like it.

Quick & Easy Pumpkin Soup
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped

- 1 green pepper, finely chopped (optional)

- 1 Tbsp. flour

- 1 tsp. salt

- 2 c. canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling!)

- 2 c. chicken broth (fat free if you wish-- won't change taste)

- 2 c. milk (again, fat free if you wish-- won't change taste)

- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme

- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg


Melt butter in heavy pan and add veggies. Cook until veggies are soft but not browned. Add salt and flour and stir together. Add pumpkin, broth, milk, thyme and nutmeg to pot and stir together.
The way I do it is stir constantly for about 3 minutes to ensure the mixture is combined and not burning. Then, I move the pot to a cold burner and allow it to sit for about 15-20 minutes to thicken up a bit.
Another few options/adaptations are:
- Add diced tomatoes to the soup
- Change the milk to a heavier cream
- Add a dollop of sour cream on top
- Add croutons on top for a yummy crunch
- My favorite is to add shredded cheddar cheese on top.
** You might also need to add more salt. This recipe never has enough for me at first.
Serving size: 2 cups
Servings in recipe: 4
WW Points: 2 points if using fat free milk and chicken stock. It's also only 1 more point if you add 1/4 c. fat free shredded cheese. The rest of the higher fat options are gonna cost ya'!
Enjoy-- and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment