12.26.2011

Leftovers

D and I just hosted our first Christmas as a married couple in our new home! My parents came over on Christmas eve and stayed overnight with us until after Christmas dinner. We also had the pleasure of sharing our meal with D's buddy and his wife too! All in all it was a total success and food overload!

This morning when I got up I surveyed the leftover damage. I decided if I could just pull off the last 3 (amazing) meals, I should give Turkey soup a try as well.

I found this recipe online that I thought would work perfectly with what I had left in the house:

I'm sure this recipe is GREAT but as I began chopping up onions I decided to make this recipe my own. Here is my spin (based on what I had left in the house):
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 White onion, chopped
- 1/2 Red onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped green onion (because it was left over)
- 1/2 - 1 cup carrots, sliced (I had the mini ones left over from our salad.)
- 1 lb mushrooms, chopped
- 3 closes of garlic, minced
- 2 large russet potatoes, cubed (at least 1/2 inch in size)
- 7 cups of Turkey broth (or in my case 4 cups turkey broth, 3 cups chicken)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 c flour
- 1 1/2 cups of Orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- Chopped up Turkey (compliments of my grill-master husband)

Instructions:
Chop up onions (green, white & red), carrots, garlic, mushrooms & potatoes. Pour oil into large stock pot and turn on medium heat. Cook red onion, white onion, garlic & carrots for 5 minutes in pan. Add mushrooms, potatoes and butter to pan (stirring well to incorporate) and cook for another 8 minutes. Add flour and mix really well (a paste will form). Cook for 3 minutes. Add stock and green onions to pan and turn heat up so pot is simmering. Allow to cook for 15 minutes STIRRING OFTEN! At this point the pot will be pretty thick thanks to the roux and the breaking down of the potatoes.
Pour the half and half into a heat safe bowl and add in some of the cooked stock. Then add back into the larger pot and mix well. Add Orzo pasta. Continue to cook on a low simmer STIRRING OFTEN for approx. 10 minutes. Throw in turkey and at this point...
- you can eat this soup but allow the turkey to be heated through and make sure the orzo is fully cooked before then
- OR just set the whole thing aside and allow to cool on a cold burner. The soup will be SUPER thick at this point. If you don't like it so thick you can add in a little more broth till you get the consistency you want.
Don't forget to season your soup before serving. I had some liquid turkey broth concentrate so I threw that in too to make the mixture more savory. YUM!!
Bottom line-- I added ingredients (and quantity of each) I liked and strongly recommend doing the same if you end up trying this recipe!

Here is a photo progression:
First 5 minutes of cooking
Adding mushrooms in
Add in flour and mix well
The final product! (You can tell how thick it is by the side of the pan)
EAT & ENJOY!
Yields: approx 10 cups of thick mixture (so this soup would go a LONG way if you added more broth).

No comments:

Post a Comment