1.29.2012

CHOW-da!

Last night D and I went to our first Crab Feed. It's one of the things that been on my bucket list but I (we) just never got to until now. It was a ton of fun and at the end of the evening the sponsors made an announcement that big gallon bags of leftover crab legs and various bits were available for purchase. D agreed that we should get 2 bags to go and I immediately started brainstorming chowder recipes for the next day.

Before I began cooking, I had found two online resources that helped this novice cook grasp the basics. I felt more comfortable winging it a bit after the last creamed soup I made post-turkey day. The result was FANTASTIC! D is still learning the power of a compliment to his wife's cooking but he immediately exclaimed "this is very good". Nuf said. =)

- 3 tablespoons butter

- 1 1/2 medium white onion, chopped

- 2 tablespoons minced garlic

- 3 - 4 cups yellow potatoes, skin on, 1 inch cubed

- 4 tablespoons flour

- 1 2/3 cup half & half

- 1 cup milk

- 2/3 teaspoon black pepper

- 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg

- 1 tsp (more to taste if need be) Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning

- 1 1/2 cup cut corn

- 1/4 pound of bacon (4-5 slices, chopped)

- 3 tablespoons chicken “better than bullion”

- (above dissolved into) 20 oz. of hot water

- 3 – 4 cups of lump crab meat (can be done while soup simmers)


One word of advice as you start out. Have all your starter items chopped and ready to go as the first part moves pretty fast. Okay, let's begin...

1. Cut bacon into cubes or bite sized strips and cook in a pan.

2. Saute onion& garlic in bacon fat (optional).

3. Add melted butter in large sauce pan and melt.

4. Add potato and saute 1 minute.

5. Sprinkle in flour, stir well to incorporate and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.

6. Add milk, half & half, pepper, Tony's seasoning, nutmeg, corn and broth.

7. Bring to a simmer over med heat stirring frequently.

8. Cover and reduce heat to low for a 20 minute simmer. You'll know it's done when potatoes are tender and liquid has thickened.

9. Stir in crab meat, cook 5 minutes.

Serve hot with garlic bread. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment