12.05.2009

Better than I imagined!

In all the years I've pictured myself in the kitchen making something in my new Kitchenaid mixer I NEVER thought I would be using such a fancy model. The Kitchenaid Professional 600 mixer is AMAZING! Just pulling it out of the box for the first time was a thrill. This thing is a BEAST!

The pieces are HUGE and quickly tell you that this mixer is not for light baking!


(Dough hook)

(Wire whisk)
(Paddle attachment)

For our first mission I chose to try out a chocolate chip cookie recipe I found online. The mixer ran like a dream and the whirling sound was music to my ears. Disappointingly however I made just 6 cookies before I stop baking as the recipe turned out more like a cake than cookies. I was craving a chewy chocolate chip cookie and wasn't liking what I saw. In an attempt to not make the first mission a total loss tried another recipe and was pleasantly surprised!

Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 1.5 bundles from box)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
  • 1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
  • 2 cups (12 oz. package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (or chopped macadamia nuts!)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl combine Graham cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder. Set aside.

Beat sweetened condensed milk and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add crumb mixture and mix well. STIR in coconut, chocolate chips and walnuts.

Drop round tablespoons onto a ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown.

Chef's Review: Very good! Chewy and sweet because of the sweetened condensed milk. I would definitely make this again.
Other Reviews: D doesn't like coconut so I shared the batch with out next door neighbors (who called me for the recipe the following day & told me they were telling their family about it when they called that night) and my co-workers who devoured the cookies in a day and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment