Still craving a really good (traditional) chocolate chip cookie I did some Internet research. I started by referencing the all-knowing-cooking-guru: Martha Stewart! She happened to have a link about making several types of cookies for the holiday but after taking a closer look at her "chewy" version I determined that the outcome would possibly be the same as the last disappointing cookie. Next, I did what any good baker shouldn't do... I did a yahoo search for "the best chocolate chip cookie". After looking through several blogs I found one that peaked my attention as it was very... uh.. "colorfully" written. It was it's colorful nature that really peaked my interest and so I thought I would give it a try! - 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt (I always use less salt in any cookie recipe so I only used a pinch here)
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla extract (I'm always a little more generous with vanilla)
- 3/4 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut into chunks (I measured by eye semi-sweet chocolate chips from the bag instead)
1) Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
2) Using a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars on low speed until it's smooth and lump free (about 3 mins).
3) Add the vanilla and egg on low speed for 15 seconds, or until fully incorporated. Do not over beat. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle.
4) On low speed, add the flour mixture. Beat until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the chocolate chunks and mix until they are just incorporated. If using a hand mixer use a wooden sp
oon to stir them in.
5) Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour OR pour onto plastic wrap to form a long log which you can freeze (at least 45 mins) for ease of cutting. (I did the frozen wrap method but I think you could bake them immediately after and all would still be fine).
6) Preheat the oven to 350. Adjust racks to the lower and upper thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat. Spoon the dough using a cookie scooper 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Makes about 23 3-inch round cookies.7) Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown around the edged, turning the sheets front to back and switching racks halfway through. (I cooked it in the center of the over for 11 minutes never changing or switching and it was fine)
8) Remove the sheets from the over and carefully slide the parchment or Silpats directly onto a work surface. Wen cookies are set, remove them to a cooking rack. Wait at least 5 minutes before serving or 20 before storing in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temp.
No comments:
Post a Comment