3.05.2010

Peanut Satay In A Lighter Way!

In an effort to use up the large container of fat free sour cream I bought last week to use in the asparagus soup I made I began hunting for new recipes. I found a recipe on the Weight Watcher website for chicken skewers with a lighter version satay sauce (peanut sauce). Darren's a big fan of peanut sauce so I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens.

After getting home from a hard and lengthy last chance workout last night (before today's weight in) I was hoping this meal would be quick and easy.. and it totally was!!

Grilled Chicken Skewers with Satay Sauce
- 9 oz. uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into 8 pieces or 8 tenderloins. I cut up a whole Foster Farm's 2 breast package into tiny pieces and then weighed out each portion size before serving instead.
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 3/4 cups fat-free sour cream
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat peanut butter Frankly is this possible to find!? I used TJ's Organic Creamy PB and after double checking the calories this worked out fine.
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil

Preheat outdoor grill, stove top grill pan or broiler.

Thread chicken tenders onto 8 individual metal or wooden skewers (soak wooded skewers in water to prevent charring); season to taste with salt and pepper. Grill or broil skewers until chicken is cooked through, turning skewers frequently, about 5 to 7 minutes.
I didn't want to fuss with any of this so after cutting up the meat and seasoning it I placed it all on a foil lined bake sheet and cooked it till it was done. I cooked it on 375 for 15-20 minutes so you could take the heat up higher to speed things up.

Meanwhile, whisk together remaining ingredients to make satay sauce. I found starting this sauce right after you put the chicken in is best so you can let it sit for a little bit and allow the flavors to incorporate.

Weight Watchers Serving: 2 skewers of the 9 oz the recipe calls for and 1/4 cup of sauce = 4 WW points.
Sal's version: 1 point for every ounce of chicken you decide to consume and 1 point for an 1/8 of a cup of sauce.
You really will be surprised how much this recipe makes and 1/8 of a cup is really more than even this sauce lover needed for one meal! Also, be aware that the sauce is thicker than most peanut sauce's. I put each serving in a small ramekin so that I could dip as much (me) or as little (D) as we like.

D's Happy Belly Rating: First reaction (and i quote) "huh, this is GOOD!" Thanks Dear. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment